Sunday 5 February 2012

An Oyster’s appreciation of Snow ©



Sometimes I feel like an oyster, just sitting there, half open at the bottom of the ocean. Open enough to be able to observe the other creatures, but not too open because then you can be disturbed. It’s best to observe and occasionally be driven on by deep ocean currents. Of which trust me there are many if you choose to let them lift you.  
I read the news every day - Oh Boy!*
Today the Guardian gave a title to what we are living through. They called it "The Great Recession". I think we’re meant to feel scared but also a little bit proud, like we’re finally part of something big. 
It’s nearly 10 p.m. on a Saturday when I begin to write this and it’s been snowing for a few hours. 
There’s a stew gurgling on the hob. I have it on a very low heat to help all the ingredients get introduced to one another slowly. I feel content but also like I’m hiding from something. It’s the effect the news has on me.     
I can hear the giggling of children outside. I poke my head out the window to have a look. They must have asked to go out and play with the snow millions of times in order to be allowed out this late. Or maybe the mother suggested it and they were all delighted? Or maybe the father is very childlike and likes playing with snow? All scenarios lead to happiness. 
I leave them to create their memory and sit back down. I don’t have to watch them to hear their giggles as I watch the snow falling outside my window. It’s exactly what I need.
I wonder if they know we're living through "The Great Recession"?
Snow has a calming effect. Maybe politicians and news writers could look at the snow before they make a decision or write something?
Just for tonight I feel like the snow has managed to keep the Great Recession at bay. 
If it does come too close when the snow melts away I’ll shut myself in my oyster shell and wait for the current to take me somewhere new.  

1 comment: