Sunday 18 July 2010

The Cock and the Eagle ©

Apollo and I looked at each other through our screens.
We both had our earphones on and we were adjusting our webcams.


"It took very long for you to come to me this time", he said with a half smile.
"I was exploring some new ways of being. I want you to come to London", I answered and watched the half smile expand across his face.
"I thought you'd never ask. I’ll come and I’ll bring Dionysus".

Two days later my gorgeous cousins were in my London apartment with a million offerings from back home. Jars of honey, cheese, cured meats, lavender, chamomile, wine, dried figs and mountain tea.


“I wanted to bring Oregano but he wouldn’t let me. He said the people at customs might think it was something else. I told him I’m sure they smoke enough of that something else to know the difference”, said Dionysus.
“I pay no attention to him anymore. We’ve lived a hundred lifetimes and he’s still as petulant as he was in the first one”, said Apollo and went into the living room.
"We’re 30 you know; don’t forget that", Dionysus shouted after him.
"Yes but it’s the hundredth time you’ve been thirty, don’t you forget that old man", Apollo shouted back.
"All the more reason to enjoy it", said Dionysus, always having to have the last word.

We stayed in the kitchen and opened a bottle of wine. I was instructed to let its spirit breathe and fill the house before we poured it.
"This one is excellent. I planted the vines myself, with the help of some gorgeous boys from the nearby village", said Dionysus and punctuated the rest of the story with his wicked infectious laughter.
“Venus come in here”, called Apollo from the next room.
“Oh God, the Oracle has spoken”, said Dionysus sarcastically. “Go in, you don’t want to keep him waiting. You know how he gets”.
I went into the sitting room


" Pick two cards".
I picked two cards from the centre of the deck and handed them back to Apollo.
He looked at the cards and then into my eyes.


"Good times are coming, you picked the Cock and the Eagle".
"What does that mean?" I said taking the cards into my hands to inspect the pictures.
" If you have to ask what it means, it means it’s been too long", answered Dionysus and handed us each a glass of the red wine we had just opened.

Apollo and I looked at him, then back at each other and started to laugh.

"I assume it's a metaphor that points to abundance and I think it's reffering to the rooster", I said.
"The rooster? That is just sad. I don’t understand why you’re laughing. What has happened to the two of you in this life? You’ve become bourgeois. Let’s get you some cock for the weekend. I need to use the Internet".
"Apollo, say something to him. This is London not ancient Greece".
" I learned not to try and convince Dionysus of anything, a long time ago".
Dionysus poked his head through the sitting room door again.
"I’m booking it for all of us online. You’re going to love me for it".

The next afternoon Dionysus guided us to Sloane Square and there just above the entrance of the Royal Court Theatre in big red letters was the title of the play he was taking us to. “COCK”


"There you go. I’m breaking you in slowly. He predicts things and I make them happen", said Dionysus and winked at me.

We went to the top of the building and sat in the front row of the tiniest, most intimate amphitheatre. The play was about a gay man who cheats on his boyfriend with a woman he falls in love with.
Apollo was spellbound by the young actor who played the lead. We both cried at the end of the show and gave the actors a standing ovation whilst Dionysus threw his eyes up to heaven and muttered “ You can’t take them anywhere anymore”.

After the play was over I told the boys I wanted to take them to "Balans", a restaurant with great atmosphere in the centre of Soho.

“I’m going to go and have sex before dinner and I’ll meet you there”.
"Where are you going"? I said staring at Dionysus

"To a Sauna. I’ll go for a couple of hours. The two of you can have some cocktails while I occupy myself otherwise and we’ll have dinner when I catch up with you".


And off he went in search of carnal pleasure. It was liberating to watch him.
He always had a very clear view of pleasure. He sometimes fell in love but he never got confused about it. Dionysus didn’t have to be emotionally involved to enjoy himself. He also rarely had sex with women anymore.

According to him they had fallen for the biggest con of all times. Men had convinced them that pleasure and ethics are interlinked. He only ever wanted a woman when she was free of such burdens and whenever he met such a rare creature he’d always fall in love with her.

Apollo and I talked about all this in "Balans" with the assistance of some very well made cocktails.
"I agree with him but it’s not like that for everyone. I have to experience emotion to be with someone. It means nothing to me otherwise. I haven’t been with anyone in a year", said Apollo.
"I haven’t been with anyone since you know who either. From a certain point onwards it’s not about ethics. I just can’t feel anything".

And just at that moment Dionysus swept through the doors and approached our table with a skip in his step.
"You look radiant", we both said.
"I know. Carnal pleasure. You should try it. What are the cocktails like here"?
"No seriously Dionysus. You look at least 5 years younger. Your skin looks fresh", I continued.
"I know…. not 30 but 25 again. Isn’t pleasure great? Don’t forget, I invented it".

We laughed and watched Dionysus flirt with all the waiters and the men at the nearby tables. I had forgotten how intoxicating it was to have him around. Everyone fell under his spell.
Two college boys came and sat at the table next to us while we were having dessert. One of them was a music student and caught Apollo’s eye immediately. They fell into a deep conversation and were inseparable for the rest of the evening.
At the end of our very long meal a unanimous decision was made that our company of five would be proceeding to the Village.

"Are you having fun little Venus?" Asked Dionysus giving me a big hug.
"Off course I am. I love having you here".
"Hmmm, that’s lovely and it’s comforting but I want you to be having fun. Come, I’ll take you there".

The Village was a club filled with semi naked boys pole dancing. We quickly occupied the centre of the dance floor. Lady Gaga’s songs came blasting through the sound system and I lost myself in the ecstasy of the moment.
Suddenly I heard Dionysus saying to me. “There’s your eagle” and I turned to see what he was pointing at.

There he was, my eagle. The only eagle you could hope to see on a weekend in central London. The dancer on the main podium was doing a sort of handstand, upside down on the pole with his legs wide open.

"Get her up there", said Dionysus to two bouncers who for some reason obeyed him.
Seconds later I was on the podium dancing with my own private Go-Go boy whilst the crowd started chanting my name. I was flying instead of dancing. My limbs felt light, like I was one with the air.

It was one of those gorgeous nights that happen with no plan at all. Through the corner of my eye I could see Apollo and the music student locked in a long passionate kiss. When you focus on pleasure everything seems to fall into place.


Come to think of it maybe someone had devised a plan but you’d never get him to admit it.







No comments:

Post a Comment